Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Pain of Separation.. June 2000

The Plan

Kuala Pilah. It was Sunday and Yan’s maternity leave was almost over. Tomorrow, she should be working again. A few days back, we have had a lengthy discussion over my plan to leave Pie under my sister care. There were two reasons for my decision. First, it would give Yan some breathing space. Going back to work with two kids to look after could be very taxing. Second, I hoped Pie will learn to be more independent and the new environment could help build his character. Somehow I managed to talk Yan into the arrangement and she reluctantly agreed. Pie was to stay in Kuala Pilah for two months before joining us again.

We arrived from Masjid Tanah on Saturday at my sister’s home and spent a night. She had three school going sons. She and her husband were very keen to have Pie for company, they just loved kids. And that affection rubbed off on my nephews as they were very good at entertaining kids. In short, I knew Pie would be just fine under their care.

The moment finally came. That Sunday noon, after many long kisses from his mother and me, one of my nephew took Pie away to the back door. They were going to buy sweets and some munchies and then saw the neighbor’s rabbits. Poor Pie, that handy old trick got him again. I quickly dumped all our stuff into the car and ushered Yan and our newborn baby in. After a quick good bye to my sister and her family, I shifted to first gear and we were on our way back to Kuala Lumpur.

When it rained, it poured!

About 5 meters away, barely into the 2nd gear, the sobbing started. I had a quick look at Yan and told her to be strong and that we would be seeing Pie again soon. And my words worked their magic. Immediately, the flood gate opened and oh dear, when it rained, it really poured! I dared not say a word more. Looking straight ahead, I saw the road became more and more blurred... must be the clouds in my eyes! A month later, we went to Kuala Pilah and spent the whole weekend with Pie before heading back. I managed to shift into the third gear and cleared the first junction before it started. Another month passed, and this time Pie joined us back to KL and since then he has never been away from us again

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home